Contributors

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Movie Review: Grownups

Saturday night our friend Mallory was in from D.C. so we went to a movie with her and her husband Dave (one of my fellow residents) after dinner. Mal and Jo opted for the latest Twilight flick featuring a bunch of chiseled guys running around w/o their shirts on. Dave and I retreated to safer ground with our unchiseled pecks/abs and opted for the new Adam Sandler movie Grownups.


Since it featured a potpourri of stars (Chris Rock, David Spade, etc.) my expectations were kind of low (not Twilight-low though). Most movies featuring all-star casts usually end up disappointing. This one actually turned out to be better than I thought.


The humor basically revolves around a group of buddies reuniting and busting each other's chops. David Spade's character carried the movie for me--hilarious throughout. I love his sarcastic wit. Sandler was good, Kevin James never seemed to fit in and once again Chris Rock was a letdown. How is that? His stand-up is so funny, I love it. But in movies he just is not funny. Is it bad writing? Is he a poor actor? I have no idea.


Overall this movie is fairly good. My recommendation: If there's something else you're dying to see--go see that movie (FYI Jo and Mal loved Twilight). However if you're undecided this one's a safe bet. Score: 6.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment